Cut from the Diaphragm
This cut is part of the diaphragm muscle that lies between the chest and the abdomen. It is a flat, long piece of meat that is very flavorful, but can be tough if it is not marinated or not properly cooked. For a delicious, tender skirt steak: First, marinate in 3 parts olive oil to 1 part acid (wine, vinegar, lemon or lime), and fresh herbs, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Then, on very high-heat; grill, sauté, stir-fry or sear. Serve.
Professional Veal Skirt Steak Recipes
Double Cut and Compressed Veal Skirt Steak with Smoked Polenta
By Richard Garcia from Tastings Wine Bar & Bistro in Foxboro , MA
Double Cut Veal Skirt Steak:
2# Veal Skirt Steak Cut into 8 equal Portions (Serves 4)
sprinkle activa on the top of all 8 pieces of skirt steak, take 4 pieces and lay them over the other 4 pieces with the sidescontaining the Activa TG facing each other. Wrap Tightly in plastic Wrap individually & allow to set for 8 hours in ice box
Steak Marinade & Cooking Procedure:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 scallions, washed and cut in 1/2
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 tbl chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tbl kosher salt
- - blend all ingredients except steak.
- - set an immersion circulator at 55 degrees Celcius
- - place 4 double cut skirt steaks and the marinade in a cryovac bag and vacum seal let marinate for 15 minutes and then
- drop in immersion circulator for about 2 hours or until your internal temp has reached 55C (131F).
Once cooked, remove from bag and sear quickly over high heat until a nice crust has formed.
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup medium-grain yellow polenta
- 2 tablespoons Grade AA unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked mozzerella
- Heat water lightly seasoned with salt to a boil over high heat, about 5 minutes. Quickly whisk in the polenta
- until fully incorporated.
- Lower the heat to a low simmer, add the butter and allow the polenta to cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Finish by stirring in the cheese and salt to taste.
To serve (1 portion)
- Swoosh a portion of polenta on the plate, leaving the skirt steak in tact, cut in two equal pieces and place overapping
- each other in the center of the polenta. Finish with smoked sea salt and micro green salad.